Wednesday 25 January 2012

First Treatment Update of 2012

Could this be why my liver test blipped recently?
Scantastic
You may remember me whinging a bit about being called for an MRI on short notice the week before Christmas. I didn't hear anything more about the scan and assumed everything was stable. As it happens I wasn't quite right about that - it turns out there has been some further improvement. 

According to the letter I received after Christmas I had some "further reduction in enhancement mainly in the pons along the Virchow-Robin spaces". Also, "the hyperintense signal  in the FLAIR images have also slightly regressed" and "there is overall improvement when compared to previous examinations". So this was a pleasant surprise (even though I had never heard of the Virchow-Robin spaces).

Festive Excess?
The other development over Christmas was that I had to step my Azathioprine dose back down from 75mg twice a day to 50mg following a blip on my weekly liver enzyme tests. After being retested after being on 50mg for a couple of weeks the blip had gone so I'm trying the 75mg dose again. Just had the second test after about a week and will see what shows up. I suspect the blip may have been a seasonal anomaly but I might be completely wrong! My target dose, subject to blood and liver tests staying clear, is 100mg twice daily at which point my medical team will consider reducing the maintenance Prednisolone.

So for now a relatively quite period and expecting another MRI before my clinic appointment in February. I'll just keep taking the tablets until then.

Read other articles in this series at Living With CLIPPERS.

Creative Commons Licence