Wednesday 6 March 2013

First Clinic of 2013 ...

The good old NHNN.
Well after a rather uneventful time on the CLIPPERS front I had my first clinic appointment for a while a couple of weeks ago. Essentially a meet and greet with my consultant, I did a few of the usual tricks. First was "walking in a straight-line heel-to-toe" (being able to do this was my personal benchmark of progress when my balance was screwed). Second was "touch your nose, now touch my finger". Third was "follow my finger without moving  your  head". I'm sure these are familliar to anyone with CLIPPERS or probably most neurological problems. I think he seemed reasonably happy and I didn't have any changes to report. I feel myself "shuffling" a bit sometimes but I can't measure it and it doesn't show up if I do any mobility tests. Might just be impending middle age. 

Anyway, I was a bit concerned he might decide to try and wean me off Azathioprine - my view is it's too early for anything like that. So I said "I'd like to stay on Azathioprine for at least another year." and he said something along the lines of "It will probably be a lot longer than that.". If it keeps me well, I'm not complaining. My consultant also reminded me that as I didn't have the brain biopsy, there is a missing piece of information in my diagnosis since the "Chronic Lymphocytic" bit of CLIPPERS hasn't been proven ... so technically it could still be something else (now that would be ironic ...) . But as I fit the CLIPPERS pattern very well on all the other tests and respond to the treatment it is still "presumed CLIPPERS". I requested another MRI as the last one I had was about 9 months ago, just to see what is going on, if anything. I'll let you know when I have that in a few weeks.

Read other articles in this series at Living With CLIPPERS.

Creative Commons Licence